Thursday, June 17, 2004

Flashes and dots.
I watch a lot of television, as you might surmise from my lengthy posts with only a modicum of actual content between them, and last week was no exception. I promised you advice on better living, and here it is.
- I liked The Shipping News. I still have no idea what most of the Newfoundlander characters are saying, but that just proves that the dialect coach should have won an Oscar. (Speaking of which: if anyone can tell me the name of the movie that had Scottish-to-English subtitles, I'll give you a dollar. Seriously.)
- I still like X2, but certain parts of it really irk me. The two female leads, for example. Now, Halle Berry can act sometimes, I've seen it (Monster's Ball, Die Another Day, and Losing Isaiah come to mind), but nobody's ever given an Oscar to Famke Janssen. There is a reason for this. Even Meg Ryan, America's Perkiest Cuckolder, looked good when they stuck poor Hugh Jackman into a frame with her. Famke ain't hard on the eyes, as my beloved Uncle Fred would say, but she cannot act. Can. Not. Act. It's like asking Dustin Hoffman to dunk a basketball, or Ben Stiller to be funny without a solid supporting cast. Never happen. Halle looks like she's about ready to take a nap, even during the action sequences...maybe she was all tuckered out after Monster's Ball. I was.
- If I Should Fall From Grace With God is a phenomenal documentary about Shane McGowan, the once and future leader of the Pogues. If you don't know who they are, go find out. It's what WinMX is for, for Grodd's sake. While you're doing that, I'll summarize: Shane is a transplanted Irish drunk in England. Shane took traditional Irish music and tugged it sideways into rock. Shane has a knockout girlfriend who thinks he's the greatest Irishman since Dylan Thomas, and he's still drinking more than any rugby team I've ever seen. Every slogger in an "Irish band" (the Reilly Clan, the Highland Rovers, Black 47, the Prodigals, the Tipperary Knights, U2, etc.) owes Shane, and most of us admit it.
Shane is truly blessed, truly touched, and truly gifted. Here's to the man, and to the biographers who did such a great job without demystifying the situation.
- Mean Machine is the English Longest Yard. It stars Vinnie Jones and Jason Statham. They made Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels, as well as Snatch (two of my favorite movies, if you bothered to read the profile). This is good, if lightweight, stuff; I imagine the pitch was "Imagine Bend It Like Beckham, but with convicts." This movie will not raise your consciousness, but it will make you laugh a bit. That's good too.
See, Muggs? I can write about movies, THEN switch it up to a more serious topic. I'll write about the serious thing later.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so I didn't bother to read the entire profile before, but I bothered to read it now and, um, neither Lock Stock nor Snatch are in your list of favorite movies.

4:29 PM, June 17, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

1. The list of movies was waaaay longer.
2. Shane McGowan is so perma-sloshed, he SOUNDS Welsh at this point. Nobody reads this, El Dub. I can say whatever I like.
BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

10:17 PM, June 17, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

You should plug your blog, Dub.
ellewiz.blogspot.com
My links still don't work worth a dizamn.

1:24 PM, June 18, 2004  
Blogger Jon M. said...

I don't read your blog because it doesn't change for weeks at a time. (And I don't write ANYTHING serious. I'm a pop culture junkie. If you want serious, it's here or here. So there.

9:41 PM, June 18, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

I've been producing like mad, lately. I can't help it if 50% of my audience is too busy watching Gigli...

9:55 PM, June 18, 2004  
Blogger Jon M. said...

I haven't seen Gigli yet. So there. Nyaaah.

10:41 PM, June 18, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is I'm supposed to believe that two movies that were placed on the bottom of a list that was so long it had to be chopped are..... oh forget it.

1:23 PM, June 19, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Anon-
It's all part of my charming duality. You know, you're supposed to know things about me that I don't actually TELL you.
Is this an unrealistic, perhaps even absurd, expectation? You bet. I'll go fix the profile, too.

8:51 AM, June 21, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Anon-
Those movies were way down at the bottom of my profile, just before Purple Rain. I moved them just for you.

9:04 AM, June 21, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(Speaking of which: if anyone can tell me the name of the movie that had Scottish-to-English subtitles, I'll give you a dollar. Seriously.)Sweet Sixteen. I saw it last week on one of the 40 billion movie pay channels we have. $1 please!

Posting anonymously because I don't have a blogger account and you wouldn't know me anyway - I made my way here via LJ and the Ferrett :)

~Samae

9:42 PM, July 10, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home