Friday, July 16, 2004

TGSNT, Epilogue.
 
Where they came from, and where they went.
 
Steinmetz who recently promo'd this blog and said some tearjerkingly nice things about it/me, was in my Marching Band, as he has recounted in excellent detail elsewhere. I decided he was ok the minute I met him, and I've yet to regret that decision. For some reason he called me Haystack on one of the worst days of my life, and it made me inexplicably happy for days. Ever unintimidated by my oft-fearsome countenance, he has never been afraid to tell me I'm stupid, and someday I hope to return the favor. That, or I will finally noogie him.
 
Jen had been in my Honors College courses, although I don't think I attended them often enough for her to notice me. She actually went to class, so she actually knows all kinds of stuff. She was, if you ask her, a bookworm when we met, and I briefly pondered that pursuit. Thankfully, my sense of inadequacy kicked in just in time, and we just became pretty good friends. How good, you ask? In 1993, when my son Will was born, she came to the hospital to visit ASAP. When she found out I was in dire financial straits, she got me a job driving strippers. That's a true friend, in my book.
 
D (not her real name, as far as you know) flashed across the Guthrian estroscope and was gone forever.  I have no idea of her whereabouts, and that preserves her as perfect. Time has not wrinkled her brow, or made embarrassing sags in once-firm territories; she will end her days as a cute, engaging, and unfathomably desirable 21-year-old. We should all be so lucky. I hope she is as happy as she made me, albeit briefly, wherever she is. I only wish I'd learned my lesson when she was teaching; other tutors have been far less kind.
 
Kat ended up marrying Hobbit Dave. Their daughter Kia is beautiful, and is an ace dog-showing person. Kat is still a very kind person, even though she's got plenty of excuses not to be, as well as being a very tough person (which is understandable, but not obvious.) I get the feeling that she knows a lot more about me than she's letting on, and that's a really, really good thing. We like her. She always drags Elaine out to see me play, and they never complain about my utter lack of talent.
 
Skip is a writer/editor/copy monkey for the local Rag. He will never admit to any of this, especially the part with the Leftists.
 
Mike Bruce strangles women, so I'm glad he's not in this story.For starters, Jen would have put his eyes out...
 
Why you looked this far down is anybody's guess, but here's something to hold your eye and warm your synapses.
 
We were all just biding time until the end of our adolescence, and Jen's house was like a community center full of bored latchkey kids waiting to get naked or picked up by their parents... and nobody's parents ever showed up, to my knowledge. Far from abandoned, most of us hid here, in flesh or in glass, until Something Else Happened. The fact that nobody ever died from alcohol poisoning or contracted AIDS just insulated us further from the real world, even in memory. We were blessed to have this pocket, this seemingly grouchless trashcan full of like-minded underachievers. We abused it thoroughly, and I'm pretty sure that's what it was there for. 
 
I have more stories to tell, but this is the only one of Austin St. I hope you liked it, or you're willing to smile and nod if you didn't. I'd appreciate feedback, no matter what you have to say. My next post will be up by Tuesday. Goodnight, and may tomorrow find you better than today left you.

23 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, you finished already. It's amazing what a deadline can do; Of course I wouldn't want one every half-hour either. It's actually going to be a few hours before I get a chance to your guys' stories. I didn't realize Blog-Athong was beginning tonight, (who begins an *athon at night? It'll make for a loooong day). When I get back I’ll try to follow the festivities for a while. I’m now “Fidget_tbm” on LJ.

12:28 AM, July 17, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:21 AM, July 17, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

The end just came pouring out when I went to open my email, and I don't stop writing if I can help it.
I had to finish it. Had to see it taper off, wipe away the sparks and tears...I had no idea that Stein was pulling a pincer move, simultaneously. Great minds think alike, as do his and mine.

8:36 AM, July 17, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

No sangria this time, dear. It gives me headaches now.

11:56 AM, July 17, 2004  
Blogger Jon M. said...

Jesu Christo... I go away for a week and you make up for me by posting like crazy.

7:20 PM, July 17, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Lil-
It's listed under the charity blog as The Guthrie Party.
I believe I smoked his punk heinie, but that's me.
Jono-
I told you I could do this. Now go for yours.

3:09 AM, July 18, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well it was a very pleasurable story. The ending was especially good, and you can forget most of the my responses to earlier posts. At that time I was thinking "what's the big deal, the guy went to a party and got laid. Why such elaborate and fanciful language?" But after I understood what had happened, it all worked. Your view of the party contrasted beautifully with the reality. And the epilogue was a nice touch. I enjoyed the review of the characters and the nice since of perspective contained in your closing remarks.

But ...

As predicted, Ferrett's story won my vote -although by a very close margin. I thought you had it going into part 4 of his and then I got to the "sails on the ship of freedom are bringing us to new shores" part. It was one of the funniest tales he has written, and therefore one of the funniest stories I have read.

I guess we'll find out what others thought when he puts up a "duel of the stories" poll. At the very least, it will give you amazing publicity. And maybe I will wrong, and will owe another $25 to the hemophilia foundation.

Thanks for sharing your story and being tolerant of my criticism.



-Sam

9:13 AM, July 18, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Sam-
Leave it to Stein to use a ringer! While I was being taking his place as hardwood Lothario, he was swiping my spot as bemused, if circumstantially celibate, observer.
He deserves the win, given that he didn't get restrained like that very often.
I didn't even know Tania was at that party; that's how preoccupied I was.
Thanks for the kind words, as well as the creative criticism, and be sure to stick around. Let's see how I do without my rodent amigo as a crutch...>;)>

10:27 AM, July 18, 2004  
Blogger Jon M. said...

Thom doesn't know how to post links. That's my job.

11:56 AM, July 18, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Not so, Jono. I added dear Lilith to my links without you.
Lil-
I'll handle the other part.

12:25 PM, July 18, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Oh, and Lil? DAMN sorry about the sink. You can see where karma demanded I just let him go on with his life, though, right...?
Ironically, you AND the previously-commenting Jon M. are in a story together, but I don't think you've ever officially met.
Jon, meet Lilith. She was there, albeit briefly, the night I met El Dub (at Viva's, back in '99).
Lilith, meet Jon/Muggsy/Red. He's not a bad guy, for a geocentric heretic.
It's all about bringing people together.

12:41 PM, July 18, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Your libido was always getting you into such interesting situations.
I thought that Becky Warshaw was going to kill you over Chris Cox, for godsake.
Skip's a good guy...he's just a starchy good guy. He let the Board of Lobbying run rampant throughout the campus, back when I was a member, and he KNEW we were walking sideways (although he also knew it was for a good cause, too.)

8:45 AM, July 19, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Having come here from Ferrett's blog over on LJ, I wanted to get the whole story before commenting. You did a good job with breaking at points that left one with some sense of something more having happened while waiting to see what else was coming along. Good job at maintaining the tension for interest. I also liked the way you described people, and especially emotions/experiences. You've got a good grasp of that.

If that's anything like the other stories you've got to share, I'm looking forward to reading what you've got.

11:03 AM, July 19, 2004  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean you're actually going to tell people about the 4th? I can't imagine this going anyplace good.

1:16 PM, July 19, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Kat-
Poker with bikers. Bouncing a deadly serve off of Jen's face and nearly into the Southbury State Forest.
Oh, that was a Fourth and a half.
In retrospect, Shirley will be making an appearance, as will her house, Elaine, and the hamlet of Orson, PA.
It's all connected.
Lil-
You never...? Wow. Becki (who will merit a special one-shot, at the very least) really wanted your skull on the mantle for that.

1:19 PM, July 19, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Anon-
Thank you so very much; it was hard to serialize, since anyone who knows me is aware of my inability to just shut up.
Stein and Lil, in particular; it's a wonder they still have ears, much less ones they'd lend me.
I've almost plotted out the rest of the year; I'm learning all the storytelling/layout/editing stuff that I was supposed to learn in college.
Better late than never, right?

1:22 PM, July 19, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Anon 2-
The Fourth isn't the good part (comparatively speaking), if you were around in those days.
The THIRD, though, when I held the party? Ohohohoboy, is that going to leave scorchmarks. Especially that year (1992). I'd need a day just to find the start point.

1:25 PM, July 19, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Lil-
I wouldn't be who I am now if it wasn't for who you were then.
No, I don't know if that's entirely good, either, but we both could have done much worse for friends (in my humble opinion).
We were NEVER bored. That's all you can ask for, in that setting...isn't it? >;)>

8:24 AM, July 20, 2004  
Blogger Jon M. said...

You should probably just start with New Years 1992, the time of "Hey, he's gonna hit us."

5:25 PM, July 20, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

The accident you experienced that night is NOTHING compared to the one *I* was in as a consequence.
That was the night I met the first ex-wife.

5:57 PM, July 20, 2004  
Blogger Jon M. said...

I know. Why do you think that I suggest that you should start the great year of change there?

9:00 PM, July 20, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

I wasn't GOING to take requests, but...
...I guess a prequel is in order.

8:21 AM, July 21, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Awww. Thanks, Elaine, for dragging people to see us! I promise the NEXT band will be even better, at least if you like tribal rhythms applied to rudimentary jazz with spoken word elements.
That or it'll be postmodern pop.

8:56 AM, July 22, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home