Friday, June 18, 2004

Walk.
If you have anything to say, no matter how terrible, no matter how awkward it may seem, now is the time to say it. Your demands are agonizing, and I don't care how little of a surprise it should be that we're parting. I am very aware of my own stupidity, my own inadequacy, and the fact that I just never had a damned thing to begin with. I deluded myself, actively at times, about how you were what I needed, what I should want, something I could turn to if I had a problem. In the end, you only created more problems, and I don't consider it irrational to hate you, to a varying extent anyway, for the rest of my days. We were supposed to be so much more, but it's apparent that there wasn't anything to back up those promises. We were both making believe, and it doesn't matter who quit first. It's going to hurt, it's going to make me angry, and it's going to inform my life decisions for, in all likelihood, the rest of my days. You didn't play fair, but nobody ever said you would. I should have been so much smarter, but I'm not. I'm only smart enough to know that I've been giving away something semiprecious and will never be compensated for that sacrifice. If I'm lucky, I'll eventually recover from the shaking hands, desperate stares into space, and the odd wheeze when I try to say your name to strangers.
How bad could it have been? Probably not much worse than it honestly was. The money, the time, the social stigma of our being together...it would have overwhelmed me anyway, in time. I'll always think of you when I see a bottle of Corona, and the sight of a pack of Marlboro Menthol Lights is always going to slow my pace by a step or two. I've gotten over worse in the past, especially from your kind, but right now I'm in the thick of it, the long dark as I like to call it. It is nothing I would wish upon an ex-spouse, and given my devoutly petty and self-centered nature, that's saying something. There's nothing distracting enough to keep my mind off of you for a full day; thankfully, I get a lot of encouragement from my friends, or I'd have lost my mind. I can fight this impulse. I have to remind myself that things have been worse, and things will get better. This is just the hard part. I'll find something new to do with all the time we used to spend together. You'll always be around, buzzing in my brain like the chemical hooks attributed to most opiates...I don't know if your lingering damage will ever completely heal, but I have to keep my head up. I wish we'd never gotten started, really, but, as with so many of my more grievous errors, it seemed like a good idea at the time.
And yes, gentle reader, I just quit smoking AGAIN. What did you THINK I was talking about?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing worse than a bass player scorned twice I guess!

2:20 PM, June 21, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Nicely put, Ano.

9:36 AM, June 22, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home