Tuesday, June 22, 2004

I am keeping it real.
Do you know how real it is?
I have two car payments, a mortgage, daycare, and insurance to pay...but the RIAA thinks I should pay $20 for two semi-decent songs and 15 chunks of worthless filler.
The government makes money off of the interest from my overpaid taxes during the year, but doesn't even send me a Christmas card.
My governor cut all kinds of illegal deals to get paid, but he already makes more than ten times what I do.
The CEO of my employer just got a bonus that is approximately 1000 times my annual salary, but the company is looking to reduce administrative costs.
My neighbor is constantly being visited by repo men in the dead of night, but he just got back from a cruise and feels free to comment on the appearance of my property. His is spotless, given its postage-stamp footprint...I'm sure the repo men in question enjoy the verdant scenery.
My house was overvalued to secure a mortgage I will probably never live to pay off. When the housing market sags again, I will be paying far more than the house is worth...maybe twice what it will go for in five years.
Girls don't talk to me because I don't hang out in bars. Both sides are sober, and that makes things more difficult for both of us.
I have a friend who wants me to form a bar band, but I don't drink, I don't like the idea of playing other people's stuff, and I'm trying to make something my kids can be proud of. All the bar bands are getting paid, and all kinds of people like them, I am told. Then I look at those people, and wonder how many will be carpooling with Bill W. by this time next year. I am not getting paid. I think I might be allergic to getting paid, at least that way.
I am keeping it real.

3 Comments:

Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

Inspired as ever, El Dub.

12:21 PM, June 22, 2004  
Blogger Mat said...

"The CEO of my employer just got a bonus that is approximately 1000 times my annual salary, but the company is looking to reduce administrative costs."

Sounds like my sojourn at the New haven Register, which gave birth to the sign I hung in my cube, "x=.0017y," which was my salary expressed as a fraction of the publisher's.

I feel for you.

12:14 PM, June 23, 2004  
Blogger Thom Guthrie, Bassist and Adventurer said...

It can't stay this way forever.
I can't go out like a trail mix pimp when my destiny demands filet mignon.
Hope endures.

3:53 PM, June 23, 2004  

Post a Comment

<< Home